May Day 2011

May Day 2011

Thursday, December 27, 2012

Les Miserables: SPOILER ALERT

Some movies leave deep impressions on me that itch at my soul and sometimes depress me briefly; they eat at me and occasionally I'll get a feeling that makes me need to watch them; Les Miserables was not one of these movies.  But don't get me wrong, I really, really, really enjoyed it!  It was a wonderful story, delving realistically into the workings of human beings.  No one was an absolute "bad guy" while no one was perfect either.  Often, movies will portray an imperfect protagonist with an absolutely evil antagonist with very few (if any) redeeming qualities, unless of course it is a movie where the bad guy turns good (but even then the bad guy is usually entirely bad and replaced by an entirely good side of him).  I also appreciated the acting, singing, and scenery.  The costumes were mediocre.  Occasionally some of the parts were excessive and not one hundred percent necessary, like the crunching sound Russell Crowe's character makes when he hits the concrete when he decides to kill himself.  Coming from someone who vehemently despises most musicals, I was absolutely contented by this film.

I have to admit I was very surprised to find that Eddie Redmayne and Russell Crowe could sing, that Anne Hathaway could sing better than Amanda Seyfried, and that Helena Bonham Carter was in the movie.  This all blew me away.  I was also blown away by the movie as a whole; it was beautifully created, yet so simple.  The scenery was believable, yet it seemed very stage-like.  I also liked that some virtually unknown actors and actress graced the performance along with known actors and actress as well as superstar actors and actress.  I liked the movie a lot without being driven to extreme emotion, which is very unusual for me.

I definitely recommend that everyone everywhere goes to see it.

No comments:

Post a Comment