May Day 2011

May Day 2011

Monday, June 18, 2012

Henry VIII and Anne Boleyn

My absolute most favorite obsession is Anne Boleyn.  Since I was about ten, I have been fascinated with the Tudors and more specifically, Anne Boleyn.  The obsession began when I read Elizabeth I:  Red Rose of the House of Tudor, England 1544 by Kathryn Lasky (a Cancer), at about the age of ten.  It was a fictional interpretation of what a diary would be like kept by a young Elizabeth I.  In the book, Elizabeth visits the Tower of London where her mother was beheaded and is told about it.  Ever since that recount, I've wanted to know more about Anne Boleyn.


In seventh grade, we had to take a class that explored numerous random stuff and one unit was on the English Renaissance.  We had to read Beware, Princess Elizabeth by Carolyn Meyer (a Gemini) for a summer reading assignment before seventh grade as preparation for the class.  From that book, I found more books about the Tudors.  I read Mary, Bloody Mary (also by Carolyn Meyer), which eluded to Anne Boleyn the most of all the books I had read thus far.  There is a book by Carolyn Meyer called Doomed Queen Anne, but I never finished it.  I just really didn't like it for some reason.


When the movie, "The Other Boleyn Girl", came out, my obsession with Anne Boleyn reignited drastically!  Over Spring Break my eighth grade year (the year the movie came out), I read the book, The Other Boleyn Girl, by Philippa Gregory (a Capricorn!).  I then began extensive research on Anne Boleyn and began to try to relate her story to life today (this is not even going into how obsessed I am with this stuff).  Eventually, after discovery, I went on to watch and own the television series, "The Tudors".


From my research, I have found that Henry VIII was born on June 28, 1491, which makes him a Cancer (and, according to my astrology book, an Aries Moon).  Anne Boleyn, from the extensive research I have performed, was most likely born in late May of 1507, making her a Gemini (but regardless, her character seems greatly portrayed as being significantly touched by Mercury if she wasn't indeed a Gemini).  For some reason, Cancer's have a tendency to be very attracted to Geminis.  This is, however, a TERRIBLE match!  Gemini is too witty and cruel for emotional, sensitive Cancer.  Initially, Gemini's wit is attractive to Cancer, like in the case with Henry and Anne.  However, Cancer is easily offended and, with Cancer males, their pride is easily hurt.  Geminis are selfish, so they don't care much if they hurt other people as long as they get what they want (like Anne's cruelty to Catherine of Aragon, Henry's first wife).  Henry and Anne were infamous for their fights and shouting matches.  Shortly after their marriage in January of 1533, Henry grew tired of Anne's arguments (probably because he couldn't win them), especially after she failed to give a successful birth of a male child (an issue separate from astrology).  By 1536, Henry convinced himself that Anne was cheating on him (and if she was indeed a Gemini, she probably had been - most Gemini women I have met agree that if their husband cheats on them, they'll cheat on their husband; and Henry was definitely cheating on her), so along with other charges, Anne was sentenced to death.


But for their romance:  As a Gemini, Anne appreciated language, especially poems.  Romantic, emotional Cancer, was happy to oblige this by writing Anne countless love letters.  That is how their relationship began.  Anne was known for her wit, which at first intrigued Henry, as he enjoyed conversing with her.  Anne also had experience as a seducer on her side from her time at court in France.  Certainly, Anne had pressure from her family to pursue a relationship with Henry, but rather than follow the normal rules of being a mistress to a king, Anne forced more to it, causing the division of England from the Catholic Church.  Anne was able to manipulate a lot of the going-ons of the kingdom throughout her relationship with Henry.  He easily fell for her words, though I guess eventually his pride was hurt enough that her words were no longer good enough.  Anne was known for the lively court she kept, as Queen.  After a while, this bothered Henry because she wasn't solemn enough as a Queen - Cancer's are all about appearance.  Another very Gemini thing about Anne was her eyes.  Most Gemini women have very noticeable, bright eyes (not like the bulbous Taurus eyes, but they stand out in a room).  Anne's eyes were noted on many accounts by observers and were a defining feature of the woman.  They must have stood out to Henry because other than that, Anne wasn't considered to be notably attractive in appearance.


To sum it up, Geminis and Cancers should not even try to date.  It ends badly and may cause hurt on both ends.  In the case of these two, Anne ended up dead and Henry kind of lost it from that point...


For more information on the Tudors, visit Tudor History.

5 comments:

  1. I think it's more of the depth of the situation, the outcome, the historical significance.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just an addition:
    I would guess that Anne Boleyn was Scorpio Rising.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't think Anne ever cheated on Henry. She was too religious. I believe she loved Henry besides their differences. As a Gemini female myself I can tell you what I think brought Anne down. We are so damn flirtatious. Even when we don't intend to be. People always think I'm flirting. I think the people at court noticed Anne doing exactly that and rumors started flying. And Henry was too sensitive and jealous to handle it. He believed she was cheating on him. I think it was enough to see her laughing with other men and smiling at them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is a very valuable contribution! Thank you for sharing your perspective as a Gemini woman. I also agree with what you're saying. Flirtation (even if inadvertent) may have been a key to her downfall with insecure (therefore jealous) Cancer.

      Delete
  4. Having read Hilary Mantel' s Wolf Hall recently, I definitely could have imagined Anne as a third decan Sagittarius in her portrayal! Grandiose ambitions a bit beyond her abilities, tunnel vision and impatience when getting what she wants, super smart in the execution but then sloppy round the edges when it comes to the follow up. Loves the attention and flirtation rather than the king himself. Bit of a feminist, very intellectual and a bit masculine in her ideas. Tries to be very feminine, overly so, with men, to compensate for how dominant she is. That's a very typical sag thing. And the big brains but the bratty attitude and being a bit shitty to other women. I would also have gone for Gemini otherwise but Mantel just adds that extra "intellectual but wanting to be thought of as sex symbol" kind of sag insecurity/vanity. Plus she could horse ride!

    ReplyDelete