May Day 2011

May Day 2011

Sunday, June 10, 2012

Snow White and the Huntsman: SPOILER ALERT

For starters, WORST TITLE EVER!  It would have been significantly more fitting for the title to be just plain "Snow White".

Summary:  Narnia, Lord of the Rings, Harry Potter, Alice in Wonderland, Avatar, Twilight, Wizard of Oz, Joan of Arc, Stardust, and of course, Snow White.

I don't mean for you to think that the movie wasn't good, because it was very good.  I was impressed with it.  I just couldn't help but be distracted by the similarities between this movie and many other recent epic movies/stories.

My least favorite parts:  the creepy alien fairies, the stag, the confusing declaration of Snow White's Christianity, Snow White kissing her childhood friend (who turned out to be the Queen, though the part that he turned out to be the Queen wasn't the part I didn't like), the fact that the mirror wasn't destroyed necessarily, the pathetic ending.

My favorite parts:  the subtle similarities between the original story and the remake, the troll, the dark forest, Snow White's escape from the castle, the line "he couldn't lift his sword" - or something very close to that - said by the Queen referring to Snow White's murdered father, the death of the Queen.

The most interesting thing for me about this movie is its relation to one of the original vampire stories that I learned about watching "Vampire Secrets" (I believe it is a History Channel movie).  The evil Queen is extraordinarily similar to the Countess/Duchess in that movie/documentary.  They both were mistreated by men; they both stole young, beautiful women and killed them seeking youth from their lives; they both weren't adverse to consuming the young, beautiful women to maintain youth; they both had minions.  I suggest watching "Vampire Secrets" if you've seen or plan to see "Snow White and the Huntsman", though otherwise I wouldn't suggest watching "Vampire Secrets" because it's totes creeps.

I enjoyed the epic proportions of "Snow White and the Huntsman", though some of the lines were weak and it was almost annoying because of all the similarities to other stories.  It was well made and certainly worth seeing.

And just fyi, Sam Claflin will totes be the young actor a bunch of annoying teen girls constantly gush about in approximately less than a year.  He's been in a lot of movies I've seen lately, like "Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides", "Any Human Heart", "The Pillars of the Earth",  and now "Snow White and the Huntsman".  Though, apparently, he's not that young, as he is almost twenty-six years old, according to my IMDb search of him. I also learned from this IMDb search that Ipswich is an actual place.

No comments:

Post a Comment