May Day 2011

May Day 2011

Monday, February 13, 2012

Fun Stuff for Saint Valentine's Day

In my AP Literature class (my English class for Senior Year), we decided that we shall have a small Valentine's Day party tomorrow, in which we will exchange cheesy cards like we used to in Elementary School (since it is most likely our last opportunity to do so).  I almost purchased Barbie cards that come with little tattoos for this occasion, but my mom noticed some Tinkerbell ones that came with lollipops.  So, of course, I instead chose the Tinkerbell ones.

While preparing my cards this afternoon, I listened to "Love You Like a Love Song" by Selena Gomez ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EgT_us6AsDg&ob=av2n ) and "You Da One" by Rihanna ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b3HeLs8Yosw&ob=av2n ).  Although both songs aren't totes lovey-dovey, they are the current generation's (or at least my generation's) version of love songs. However, if you're looking for stereotypical love songs, try:  "My Heart Will Go On" by Celine Dion:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DHyJTpDFgc8 or "All My Loving" by The Beatles:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gWvurnpKjE4.

I think the most forgotten thing about Valentine's Day is that it is actually Saint Valentine's Day.  Because I didn't know the story of St. Valentine, I thought I would do some research and share it here on my blog.  I, of course, began with Wikipedia, but soon progressed to History.com.  So here's the story in summary:  Although there were a few Saint Valentines, the main legend is that some mean Roman emperor outlawed young men from being married because apparently they were better fighters in war.  So, Valentine (a Catholic priest) illegally married young men and women in secret.  He was discovered and then executed, being considered a martyr and eventually a Saint.  February 14th was probably chosen as the feast day because it fell around the same time in February as the pagan celebration of Lupercalia to help alleviate the need to celebrate the unChristian festival.  If you want more information go to:  http://www.history.com/topics/valentines-day.

On Another Note (sort of):  I've had this Valentine's card for years that is absolutely stupid, but I've kept it for its dry humor.  It is not one that I've received, rather I bought it because I thought it was worth it.  I haven't yet had someone worthy of giving it to.

On Yet Another Note (sort of):  Here are some romantic movies to watch if you're bored:  The Princess Bride; Lost in Austen; Valentine's Day; Tristan and Isolde; Romancing the Stone; Casablanca; Titanic; Much Ado About Nothing; Leap Year; The Proposal; Made of Honor; Troy.

1 comment: