May Day 2011

May Day 2011

Monday, December 2, 2013

Lucid Dreaming

When I was in my sophomore or junior year of high school, I discovered lucid dreaming.  I'm not sure whether or not I was able to control my dreams before this experience, but I do remember the realization that I can completely control my dreams; at least I can when I become aware that I'm dreaming, which has occurred anytime that I've woken up remembering that I have dreamed.  Somehow, in a discussion, dreams were brought up and I told my good friend about my discovery.  She warned me that controlling dreams can leave you in an unrested state as well as cause you to be stuck in the paralysis caused by the dream world and other issues (her knowledge came from her AP Psych class, which provided more knowledge than what I had previously gained about dreams).  Whether or not these side effects are true, I do not know; but at the time, I took her word for it and stopped controlling my dreams.  I still would dream lucidly, I don't believe that you can remove your lucidity once it's there in a dream, but I took a step back and let my dreams play out.

In my dreams since then, as I've said, any that I remember, I have been lucid in them to some extent.  I've never practiced lucidity intentionally.  After my first realization of dreaming lucidly, I constantly controlled my dreams quite naturally and it was quite fun.  I believe the reason I first gained control was because I was so embarrassed and in absolute shock at myself in my dream that I had to take control.  Following that dream up until my friend warned me of potential dangers, I controlled and was lucid during anywhere from 1-3 dreams per night.

I'm not so afraid of controlling my dreams anymore.  I try not to control them too much though, because I find it more therapeutic to allow my dreams to progress on their natural courses.  Sometimes, however, I find myself gaining lucidity because I am controlling my dreams.  It's very strange.  Upon gaining this lucidity, I often lose control (or rather my dream comes to a stand still as I evaluate what I'm doing in my dream and what I should be doing) and begin to pull myself out of the dream.

I've found that both controlling my dreams and gaining lucidity usually lead to displeasure in my dreams and I do not suggest seeking it.  However, lucid dreaming does provide interesting concepts about life.  Controlling our dreams usually allows us to do whatever we want.  But I do say to use caution, you probably wouldn't want to find yourself making immoral decisions you wouldn't make in the waking world in your lucid dreams because you will likely still feel the same shame, but it's deeper because you will likely not admit your dreams.

Some interesting articles that got me thinking about this:
Dreaming Article
Lucid Dreams
More on Dreams

No comments:

Post a Comment